From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wireless software config problem
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 16:47:32
1 On 06/09/2017 18:31, allan gottlieb wrote:
2 > My system runs gnome3/systemd. I use NetworkManager, which is mostly
3 > working fine.
4 >
5 > At work the desired network is named "nyu". The sysadmins say I need to
6 > change at least one security parameter. When I open the gui it shows
7 > the network configuration parameters (by clicking the gear) and lets me
8 > select different values. However the "Apply" button never becomes
9 > active so I can only "Cancel".
10 >
11 > If I try to select the "nyu" network it asks for the password, which I
12 > know and enter. I then click the appropriate button (something like
13 > "apply" or "ok"). As expected the window goes away but I am not
14 > connected and the window reappears.
15 >
16 > A "tip" from the sys admins at work is to somehow tell my system to
17 > forget all it knows about the network "nyu", but neither I nor they know
18 > how to do it (they don't "fully support" linux).
19 >
20 > Any help would be appreciated.
23 Your sysadmins are talking shit. What they need to do is tell you what
24 the security settings are for that SSID. If it's a corporate firm it's
25 likely something along the lines of "Protected EAP (PEAP)" and they must
26 tell you what it requires. Or, find a working Windows machine and check
27 it's wireless network property for that SSID. Usually, one can figure it
28 out relatively easily.
29
30 That your sysadmins don't know this is a rather brutal indictement of
31 your sysadmins...
32
33 In connman one often has delete and re-create connections as it often
34 happens there isn't an Edit button in connman applets! But not in
35 NetworkManager:
36 right click -> Config -> Edit -> Save
37 always does the trick if you click the right buttons in the Edit step
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com