From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 4G Stick Huawei E3276
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 06:08:37
1 On Tuesday 02 Apr 2013 16:48:26 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 02.04.2013 16:27, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
3 > > Am 02.04.2013 15:52, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
4 > >> So I am back on cdc_ncm now. And I removed all the stuff I installed
5 > >> when testing that huawei-driver-package.
6 > >
7 > > phew.
8 > >
9 > > Next small steps (but somehow promising):
10 > >
11 > > I was able to connect via wvdial and pull an IPv4-IP-adress via dhcpcd
12 > > ...
13 > >
14 > > but the connection only lasted for maybe 10 seconds. Wrong parameters?
15 > >
16 > > After that I have to re-plug the modem to get it working again.
17 >
18 > Update:
19 >
20 > It works. Although rather "un-polished":
21 >
22 > I run wvdial ... it connects ... in a second terminal I pull an
23 > IP-adress via dhcpcd and then started a ping to some remote IP immediately.
24 >
25 > The wvdial-session then somehow loses connection to the modem or
26 > something (I have to retry and provide the logs ... right now I am so
27 > happy to have it working that I don't want to stop the connection )
28 > .... this mislead me all the times as I thought it lost connectivity.
29 >
30 > But it still pings and works thereafter.
31 >
32 > So it is somehow useable for me as an admin ... not so much for an
33 > end-user.
34 >
35 > Contacted the dev from the thread ... he told me that the modules coming
36 > with linux 3.8.5 should work just fine.
37 >
38 > So it's more of a UI-issue right now ;-)
39 >
40 > connectivity is good so far ...
41 >
42 > phew!
43
44 Glad to hear to you got somewhere with this effort! :-)
45
46 If you configure your /etc/conf.d/net for wwan0 (or whatever it is now called)
47 to use dhcpcd you should not need to manually attempt getting an IP address:
48
49 config_wwan0="dhcpc"
50
51 Don't forget to create a symlink for your interface in /etc/init.d/net.lo:
52
53 cd /etc/init.d
54
55 ln -s net.lo net.wwan0
56
57 rc-update add net.wwan0 default
58
59 PS. No idea if NM will barf with these settings, but this is the vanilla
60 gentoo approach to network configuration and it will deal with the non-admin
61 user problem.
62 --
63 Regards,
64 Mick