From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel options and udisk
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:21:34
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am Mittwoch, 19. September 2012, 01:51:49 schrieb Dale:
3 >> Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
4 >>> On 09/18/2012 11:03 PM, Dale wrote:
5 >>> And every day I hear about them finding more oil and gas that they
6 >>> didn't know was there before.
7 >
8 > I am sure everybody would love to hear about those findings. Especially the
9 > CEO's of BP, Shell etc.
10
11 Actually, the former CEO of Shell was on Fox Business not long ago
12 talking about some HUGE finds. He said that we, the USA, are sitting on
13 some of the largest oil fields. Here is one article I found but not
14 sure this is the same one the Shell guy was talking about since this
15 article is a few months old.
16
17 http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/story/2012-05-15/1A-COV-ENERGY-INDEPENDENCE/54977254/1
18
19 Quoting from that:
20
21 "It's no pipe dream. The U.S. is already the world's fastest-growing oil
22 and natural gas producer. Counting the output from Canada and Mexico,
23 North America
24 <http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Places,+Geography/Regions/North+America>
25 is "the new Middle East," Citigroup analysts declare in a recent report."
26
27 Note it said fastest growing producer. You have to find it and be able
28 to get it up before you can produce it. Yea, one day we will run out
29 but that's a good long ways off. We could get hit by some asteroid or
30 something that just completely destroys the planet and everything on it,
31 including all that oil and gas that people want to save up on.
32
33 Have you heard about the new wells being drilled in North Dakota by any
34 chance? They are drilling for oil like crazy up there. That is just
35 one that I recall seeing on the news a good bit recently. There are
36 plenty of other finds.
39 > Fact is, we are running out. The stuff that is found is either very hard to get
40 > - or not very much. Oh, and very little to start with. Consider current
41 > consumption.
42
43 Fact is, the same could be said for the Sun too. Science already says
44 it will run out of fuel one day. Solar doesn't work without sunlight.
45 You can't grow corn or anything to make "green" fuel either. There is
46 always going to be someone claiming we are running out of something.
47 Then, we find more of it and the process continues. Heck, we can't even
48 run out of the flu bug and everyone wants to run out of that.
49
50 As for it being hard to get to, with new tools and knowledge that is
51 being used, they can get to places that 20 years ago we could never
52 dream of. Once you get a oil pipe in the ground, that thing can produce
53 for years, even decades. It's not like you have to drill a new one for
54 each week or month. Heck, I have seen people talking on TV about oil
55 wells that were drilled way back in the 40's or 50's that still produce
56 lots of oil. Once you get the pipe there, it's not hard anymore.
59 >> Everything is a limited resource
60 >> including sunlight. If we are going to live thinking the end is
61 >> tomorrow, then we are not going to have a life worth living.
62 > then turn off your computer. Have everything constantly on IS living like there
63 > is no tomorrow. If you want a tomorrow, start energy saving a bit.
64
65 Sorry, not convinced. I let my computer do work for me and I find it
66 reasonable to pay for.
67
68 >> Reminds me of a quote I heard a little while ago. 'We shouldn't eat to
69 >> live, we should live to eat.' It was something like that. I think I
70 >> got it right since I didn't exactly write it down. They were talking
71 >> about food but still. If you live, you have to use something.
72 > and because of some stupid, unrelated quote it is ok to be wasteful?
73 >
74 > You love quotes? Here is one:
75 >
76 > Waste not, want not.
79 I'm not wasting anything. I just chose to let my puter work for me not
80 you. I'm not one that is going to be told that I can't use something
81 that belongs to me in my own chosen way. That is just NOT going to
82 work. I chose to leave my system running and that is my decision and
83 mine alone. You make your decision and I'll make mine. I'm not going
84 to tell you to leave yours on, don't tell me to turn mine off either.
85 I'll respect yours, you respect mine.
86
87 Dale
88
92 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!