From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless: deauthenticating by local choice
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 19:38:04
1 On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> I'm on the road connecting to various wireless access points and
3 >>> sometimes I'm unable to connect and I get the (try 1) (try 2) (try 3)
4 >>> (timed out) messages in dmesg which makes sense.  Other times I get a
5 >>> different series of messages in dmesg when I'm unable to connect which
6 >>> don't make sense to me.  The interface connects, then disconnects,
7 >>> then connects, then disconnects, over and over until it finally
8 >>> decides to fail permanently.
9 >>
10 >> Have you tried disabling power saving mode? Something like:
11 >>
12 >> iwconfig wlan0 power off
13 >
14 > I love this list.  I don't want to speak too soon, but Paul, it looks
15 > like you fixed it.
16
17 I hope so!
18
19 > I've been struggling with this for a very long
20 > time.  The problem would manifest with 2 different rt73 USB wireless
21 > adapters.
22
23 I had unstable connections and poor speeds on my laptop, and power
24 saving turned out to be the reason why. Some cards have intermediate
25 power-saving levels, too, which might give you a good compromise
26 between performance and battery life, if battery life is even a
27 concern.