From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WARNING: Crucial MX300 drives SUUUUUCK!!!!
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 16:44:17
1 On 02/12/2017 02:40 PM, Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > So does anyone have any evidence of a current generation SSD lasting
3 > more than 20 days?
6 I have tried various SSDs (multiple brands and generations) over the
7 last maybe five years and found that they're very unreliable (multiple
8 brands too.)
9
10 I know everyone's saying these things are reliable but out of four SSDs
11 I own, I've had to replace three, some more than once.
12
13 I just don't use them for anything I want to stay working. Right now I
14 keep them in my mythtv frontends as I can restore the OS easily. One one
15 of them the company involved (Kingston) even sent me a newer drive/model
16 as it was replaced more than once.
17
18 I know they're fast. But what's the point of going 500 MPH and crashing
19 into a mountain with no chance of repair/recovery. I went back to a
20 (relatively) slower rust raid10, and it's been reliable for the last
21 four years. At least with a hard drive failure, you stand /some/ chance
22 at recovery, not zero.
23
24 The one SSD that hasn't had to have been replaced under warranty is in
25 my laptop which I generally use maybe a dozen times a year. I fully
26 expect it to die one of these times when I boot the laptop (it's one of
27 the old models.)
28
29 My experiences are with Samsung, Kingston, Intel, Crucial and AData
30 SSDs. The last one I bought because these things I view as throwaway
31 devices (the warranty expired on the original Crucial) and don't want to
32 spend big money on them. I have noticed the AData SSD's performance is
33 not as fast now as it was new (maybe 1.5 years ago?) So it'll probably
34 pack it in soon too.
35
36 Dan