From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: MBR partition
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 22:58:43
1 On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > From reading the XFS list and my own experience, I have formed the
3 > opinion that the maintainers are more stringent in matters of QA and
4 > regression testing and more mature in matters of public debate.
5
6 That doesn't surprise me. One of the best tools for QA testing any
7 filesystem is xfs_test, which was, as is obvious from the name,
8 developed to stress xfs. I know the btrfs devs use it heavily, though
9 it doesn't test all the more modern features of btrfs like
10 snapshotting, reflinks, send/receive, and so on.
11
12 I know the whole lkml debate about data=ordered didn't thrill me all
13 that much. I'm a firm believer that no filesystem should eat your
14 data if it doesn't cleanly unmount. I don't have a problem with
15 losing the last n seconds of changes because of write caching. What I
16 do have a problem with is when after a crash a file contains something
17 other than the previous contents or the new contents, especially if a
18 failed append to a file ends up zeroing out the whole file or some
19 nonsense like that.
20
21 > It is also one of the few filesystems besides ZFS that can dynamically
22 > allocate inodes.
25 FWIW, btrfs also dynamically allocates inodes. ZFS and btrfs are
26 fairly comparable in terms of capabilities, with each now having a few
27 features the other lacks. Btrfs is definitely less mature though.
30 Rich