From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: MBR partition
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 20:54:26
1 On 06/09/2014 13:54, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 06/09/2014 14:48, Dale wrote:
3 >> James wrote:
4 >>> Joseph <syscon780 <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >>>
6 >>>> Thank you for the information.
7 >>>> I'll continue on Monday and let you know. If it will not boot with sector
8 >>> starting at 2048, I will
9 >>>> re-partition /boot sda1 to start at 63.
10 >>>
11 >>> Take some time to research and reflect on your needs (desires?)
12 >>> about which file system to use. (ext 2,4) is always popular and safe.
13 >>> Some are very happy with BTRFS and there are many other interesting
14 >>> choices (ZFS, XFS, etc etc)......
15 >>>
16 >>> There is no best solution; but the EXT family offers tried and proven
17 >>> options. YMMV.
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >>> hth,
21 >>> James
22 >>>
23 >>
24 >> I'm not sure if it is ZFS or XFS but I seem to recall one of those does
25 >> not like sudden shutdowns, such as a power failure. Maybe that has
26 >> changed since I last tried whichever one it is that has that issue. If
27 >> you have a UPS tho, shouldn't be so much of a problem, unless your power
28 >> supply goes out.
29 >
30 > XFS.
31 >
32 > It was designed by SGI for their video rendeing workstations back in the
33 > day and used very aggressive caching to get enormous throughput. It was
34 > also brilliant at dealing with directories containing thousands of small
35 > files - not unusual when dealing with video editing.
36 >
37 > However, it was also designed for environments where the power is
38 > guaranteed to never go off (which explains why they decided to go with
39 > such aggressive caching). If you use it in environments where powerouts
40 > are not guaranteed to not happen, well......
41
42 Well what? It's no less reliable than other filesystems that employ
43 delayed allocation (any modern filesystem worth of note). Over recent
44 years, I use both XFS and ext4 extensively in production and have found
45 the former trumps the latter in reliability.
46
47 While I like them both, I predicate this assertion mainly on some of the
48 silly bugs that I have seen crop up in the ext4 codebase and the
49 unedifying commentary that has occasionally ensued. From reading the XFS
50 list and my own experience, I have formed the opinion that the
51 maintainers are more stringent in matters of QA and regression testing
52 and more mature in matters of public debate. I also believe that
53 regressions in stability are virtually unheard of, whereas regressions
54 in performance are identified quickly and taken very seriously [1].
55
56 The worst thing I could say about XFS is that it was comparatively slow
57 until the introduction of delayed logging (an idea taken from ext3). [2]
58 [3]. Nowadays, it is on a par with ext4 and, in some cases, scales
59 better. It is also one of the few filesystems besides ZFS that can
60 dynamically allocate inodes.
65 > ZFS is the most resilient filesystem I've ever used, you can through the
66 > bucket and kitchen sink at it and it really doesn't give a shit (it just
67 > deals with it :-) )
68
69 While its design is intrinsically resilient - particularly its
70 capability to protect against bitrot - I don't believe that ZFS on Linux
71 is more reliable in practice than the filesystems included in the Linux
72 kernel. Quite the contrary. Look at the issues labelled as "Bug" filed
73 for both the SPL and ZFS projects. There are a considerable number of
74 serious bugs that - to my mind - disqualify it for anything but hobbyist
75 use and I take issue with the increasing tendency among the community to
76 casually recommend it.
77
78 Here's my anecdotal experience of using it. My hosting company recently
79 installed a dedicated backup server that was using ZFS on Linux. Its
80 primary function was as an NFS server. It was very slow and repeatedly
81 deadlocked under heavy load. On each occasion, the only remedy was for
82 an engineer to perform a hard reboot. When I complained about it, I was
83 told that they normally use FreeBSD but had opted for Linux because the
84 former was not compatible with a fibre channel adapter that they needed
85 to make use of. I then requested that the filesystem be changed to ext4,
86 after which the server was rock solid.
87
88 Another experience I have is of helping someone resolve an issue where
89 MySQL was not starting. It transpired that he was using ZFS and that it
90 does not support native AIO. I supplied him with a workaround but
91 sternly advised him to switch to a de-facto Linux filesystem if he
92 valued his data and expected anything like decent performance from
93 InnoDB. Speaking of which, XFS is a popular filesystem among
94 knowledgeable MySQL hackers (such as Mark Callaghan) and DBAs alike.
95
96 For the time being, I think that there are other operating systems whose
97 ZFS implementation is more robust.
98
99 --Kerin
100