From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: MBR partition
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 12:56:00
1 On 06/09/2014 14:48, Dale wrote:
2 > James wrote:
3 >> Joseph <syscon780 <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 >>
5 >>> Thank you for the information.
6 >>> I'll continue on Monday and let you know. If it will not boot with sector
7 >> starting at 2048, I will
8 >>> re-partition /boot sda1 to start at 63.
9 >>
10 >> Take some time to research and reflect on your needs (desires?)
11 >> about which file system to use. (ext 2,4) is always popular and safe.
12 >> Some are very happy with BTRFS and there are many other interesting
13 >> choices (ZFS, XFS, etc etc)......
14 >>
15 >> There is no best solution; but the EXT family offers tried and proven
16 >> options. YMMV.
19 >> hth,
20 >> James
23 > I'm not sure if it is ZFS or XFS but I seem to recall one of those does
24 > not like sudden shutdowns, such as a power failure. Maybe that has
25 > changed since I last tried whichever one it is that has that issue. If
26 > you have a UPS tho, shouldn't be so much of a problem, unless your power
27 > supply goes out.
28
29 XFS.
30
31 It was designed by SGI for their video rendeing workstations back in the
32 day and used very aggressive caching to get enormous throughput. It was
33 also brilliant at dealing with directories containing thousands of small
34 files - not unusual when dealing with video editing.
35
36 However, it was also designed for environments where the power is
37 guaranteed to never go off (which explains why they decided to go with
38 such aggressive caching). If you use it in environments where powerouts
39 are not guaranteed to not happen, well......
43 ZFS is the most resilient filesystem I've ever used, you can through the
44 bucket and kitchen sink at it and it really doesn't give a shit (it just
45 deals with it :-) )
50 > Just a little heads up in case it matters.
51 >
52 > Oh, I use ext2 for /boot and ext4 for everything else, some of that on
53 > top of LVM. I switched from reiserfs a good while back, bit rot. So
54 > far, I been really pleased with ext4.
55
56 Yeah, that's a pretty normal default setup, it performs well across the
57 boards for average desktop and server loads
61 Alan McKinnon
62 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com