From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: MBR partition
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 12:48:51
1 James wrote:
2 > Joseph <syscon780 <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> Thank you for the information.
5 >> I'll continue on Monday and let you know. If it will not boot with sector
6 > starting at 2048, I will
7 >> re-partition /boot sda1 to start at 63.
8 >
9 > Take some time to research and reflect on your needs (desires?)
10 > about which file system to use. (ext 2,4) is always popular and safe.
11 > Some are very happy with BTRFS and there are many other interesting
12 > choices (ZFS, XFS, etc etc)......
13 >
14 > There is no best solution; but the EXT family offers tried and proven
15 > options. YMMV.
18 > hth,
19 > James
22 I'm not sure if it is ZFS or XFS but I seem to recall one of those does
23 not like sudden shutdowns, such as a power failure. Maybe that has
24 changed since I last tried whichever one it is that has that issue. If
25 you have a UPS tho, shouldn't be so much of a problem, unless your power
26 supply goes out.
27
28 Just a little heads up in case it matters.
29
30 Oh, I use ext2 for /boot and ext4 for everything else, some of that on
31 top of LVM. I switched from reiserfs a good while back, bit rot. So
32 far, I been really pleased with ext4.
33
34 Dale
35