From: Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc-2.17 fails and warning: setlocale: LC_ALL error
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 02:36:08
1 On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 09:19:27PM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:
7 > > Hi Dale,
11 > > first you should check if you have this line in your
12 > /etc/locale.gen:
13 >
14 > > en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
18 > > If you do, run locale-gen to create the locale. This should
19 > in theory fix the
20 >
21 > > LC_<foo> errors (Note: there are some LC_ settings best
22 > left undisturbed,
23 >
24 > > especially setting LC_ALL to something other than "C" tends
25 > to break stuff).
26 >
27 > Howdy,
28 >
29 > I looked at that file.  On both my systems, it is not a text file.  When I
30 > look at it in a file manager, Konqueror via fish, it shows up as "GENESIS
31 > rom" for type.  Since it is not text on either of my machines, I'm nervous
32 > about editing that thing.  Are we certain it is safe to mess with???   O_O
33
34 Here's the contents of mine:
35
36 ==============BEGIN====================
37 # /etc/locale.gen: list all of the locales you want to have on your system
38 #
39 # The format of each line:
40 # <locale> <charmap>
41 #
42 # Where <locale> is a locale located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ and
43 # where <charmap> is a charmap located in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.
44 #
45 # All blank lines and lines starting with # are ignored.
46 #
47 # For the default list of supported combinations, see the file:
48 # /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
49 #
50 # Whenever glibc is emerged, the locales listed here will be automatically
51 # rebuilt for you. After updating this file, you can simply run `locale-gen`
52 # yourself instead of re-emerging glibc.
53
54 #en_US ISO-8859-1
55 en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8
56 en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
57 de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
58 #ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP
59 #ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8
60 #ja_JP EUC-JP
61 #en_HK ISO-8859-1
62 #en_PH ISO-8859-1
63 #de_DE ISO-8859-1
64 #de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15
65 #es_MX ISO-8859-1
66 #fa_IR UTF-8
67 #fr_FR ISO-8859-1
68 #fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15
69 #it_IT ISO-8859-1
70
71 =================END=================
72 Note that I also enable 2 other (en_GB and de_DE) that you probably don't
73 need.
80 > > The other error you get (glibc failing to install) seem to be
81 > caused by an old
82 >
83 > > kernel version that wouldn't be compatible with the newer
84 > glibc. So I'd
85 >
86 > > recommend that you try to update your kernel first.
90 > > WKR
91 >
92 > > Hinnerk
93 >
94 > This is interesting.  I'm using this version:  3.15.5-gentoo According to
95 > equery, that's as new as it gets.  I thought about going back to a older
96 > version but that seemed odd given the error.  I been dealing with this for
97 > about two days now.  My 3 lb mini sledge is starting to look interesting.
98 > @_@
99 >
100 > Thoughts?
101
102 That's interesting: maybe that kernel is too new. Which version of glibc is
103 installed right now (It may be helpful to make a guess which kernel version
104 should work). Otherwise according to the Changelogs of gentoo-sources and glic
105 the kernel version was something around 3.6.x when glibc-2.17 was added to the
106 tree.
107
108 WKR
109 Hinnerk