From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc-2.17 fails and warning: setlocale: LC_ALL error
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 03:44:41
1 Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 09:19:27PM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Howdy,
5 >>
6 >> I looked at that file. On both my systems, it is not a text file. When I
7 >> look at it in a file manager, Konqueror via fish, it shows up as "GENESIS
8 >> rom" for type. Since it is not text on either of my machines, I'm nervous
9 >> about editing that thing. Are we certain it is safe to mess with??? O_O
10 > Here's the contents of mine:
11 >
12 > ==============BEGIN====================
13 > # /etc/locale.gen: list all of the locales you want to have on your system
14 > #
15 > # The format of each line:
16 > # <locale> <charmap>
17 > #
18 > # Where <locale> is a locale located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ and
19 > # where <charmap> is a charmap located in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.
20 > #
21 > # All blank lines and lines starting with # are ignored.
22 > #
23 > # For the default list of supported combinations, see the file:
24 > # /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
25 > #
26 > # Whenever glibc is emerged, the locales listed here will be automatically
27 > # rebuilt for you. After updating this file, you can simply run `locale-gen`
28 > # yourself instead of re-emerging glibc.
29 >
30 > #en_US ISO-8859-1
31 > en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8
32 > en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
33 > de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
34 > #ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP
35 > #ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8
36 > #ja_JP EUC-JP
37 > #en_HK ISO-8859-1
38 > #en_PH ISO-8859-1
39 > #de_DE ISO-8859-1
40 > #de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15
41 > #es_MX ISO-8859-1
42 > #fa_IR UTF-8
43 > #fr_FR ISO-8859-1
44 > #fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15
45 > #it_IT ISO-8859-1
46 >
47 > =================END=================
48 > Note that I also enable 2 other (en_GB and de_DE) that you probably don't
49 > need.
52 I thought that should be a text file. I know I had to edit mine on the
53 new rig a long time ago but was to chicken to try it. I opened a weird
54 file once and made a mess so I didn't want to try that again. I wonder,
55 that likely came from the stage3 tarball that way. Bug maybe?? Some
56 files I just copied over but some I can't since one is 64 bit and one 32
57 bit. Example, parts of make.conf was a serious no on that.
58
59 I'll test this on the old rig first. ;-) May even just rename it and
60 start fresh, just in case.
63 >> This is interesting. I'm using this version: 3.15.5-gentoo According to
64 >> equery, that's as new as it gets. I thought about going back to a older
65 >> version but that seemed odd given the error. I been dealing with this for
66 >> about two days now. My 3 lb mini sledge is starting to look interesting.
67 >> @_@
68 >>
69 >> Thoughts?
70 > That's interesting: maybe that kernel is too new. Which version of glibc is
71 > installed right now (It may be helpful to make a guess which kernel version
72 > should work). Otherwise according to the Changelogs of gentoo-sources and glic
73 > the kernel version was something around 3.6.x when glibc-2.17 was added to the
74 > tree.
75 >
76 > WKR
77 > Hinnerk
78
79 That's why I decided to just ask. The version is 2.17. We have storms
80 close by so I shutdown the rig but pretty sure it was just a recompile
81 of the same version. Once this storm passes, I'll try a newer version.
82
83 Thanks. Maybe this will get things moving again.
84
85 Dale
86