From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 06:31:04
1 On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 02:37:53PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
2
3 > You have been corrected on this point so many times I now think you
4 > are just a stupid ass.
5 >
6 > It is not slow.
7 >
8 > You are the only one saying that. People who do use Nepomuk say that
9 > it is not slow and does not hog resources (initial scan excepted).
10
11 a) Nepomuk is not slow and does not hog resources
12 b) dbus is not slow and does not hog resources
13 c) hal is not slow and does not hog resources
14 d) ....... is not slow and does not hog resources
15 etc, etc, etc.
16
17 Throw in enough "little stuff" and it eventually adds up. We seem to
18 be talking past each other. It's like the pay-TV channel you don't want
19 being bundled in basic cable. They may claim that they "only cost a
20 dollar a month, and surely you can afford that". Throw in 100 such
21 channels, and your cable bill gets ridiculous, and people start
22 demanding a-la-carte. The same principle applies here.
23
24 I agree with the concept that people who don't want KDE dependancies,
25 e.g. dbus, shouldn't use KDE apps. Therefore, I avoid amarok, kaffeine,
26 kplayer, etc. What got me started in this thread was the fact that what
27 had been a formerly-standalone media player (audacious), now pretty much
28 demands dbus. dbus would be "bundled in" to my "basic service", i.e.
29 ICEWM.
32 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>