From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best route forward?
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:57:24
1 --- Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 13:40:11 -0800 (PST)
3 > BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > What is the _best_ path forward? Should I just stick with my
5 > current
6 > > build of kde? Or is there an easy way to remove all the blocks and
7 > then
8 > > push in kde-meta? Is it worth it?
9 > There are two kind of kde installs, or three, if you ask me.
10 >
11 > You can install "kde". That will pull into your system the big
12 > packages just like they are released by the kde team. That means,
13 > several big monoliths, like kdebase, kdenetwork, kdegraphics and so
14 > on.
15 >
16 > You can install using split ebuilds as well. For example, instead
17 > of installing kdebase, you only need a couple of programs. So, you
18 > just install, let's say, konqueror and konsole, instead of kdebase.
19 > Of course, you can install all the pieces of kdebase using split
20 > ebuilds, and both installs would be equivalent. The downside is that
21 > you would need to install lots of small packages, instead of a big
22 > monolithic one.
23 >
24 > That way you save some space, but, what's more important for me, you
25 > save hours of compilation for things that you will never use.
26 >
27 > The other solution is to use meta-ebuilds. For example, you can
28 > install kdebase-meta, instead of kdebase. This is kind of an "hybrid"
29 > approach. When you emerge kdebase-meta, you end with the same that
30 > you
31 > would get by installing kdebase, but it will be done using split
32 > ebuilds. The good thing is that you will still get the modulatiry,
33 > without having to install all the split ebuilds by hand, because
34 > the meta-package pulls all of the components of kdebase but using
35 > split ebuilds as dependencies.
36 >
37 > So, you already know why you are getting that big list of packages to
38 > install: you are not going to get anything more if you install those
39 > packages, because they are a split version of the big kde packages
40 > you already installed.
41 >
42 > The blockers are simple to understand: you can't have kdebase and
43 > kdebase-meta installed at the same time. They are equivalent, it
44 > would be a nonsense anyway. So, all the components of a given meta-
45 > package, block the matching monolithic package. That way portage
46 > can prevent weird things like the one you were trying to do :)
47 >
48 > I hope it made sense, if not, ask for clarification.
49
50 Thanks, and yes it does. I haven't vested much in the install yet, and
51 the more modular approach seems nicer to me, so I think I'll switch it
52 over now before its too costly.
53
54 Thanks!
55