From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Making sure I am a good netizen and secure.
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 15:17:54
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2009-09-05, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> As some may know already, I recently got DSL.
6 >>
7 > [...]
8 >
9 >> The DSL modem I am using is the Motorola 2210. It seems to be
10 >> a gateway thing. I have no router at the moment
13 > The 2210 is a router that is doing NAT with a stateful
14 > firewall. It will (assuming it's not too buggy) prevent
15 > outside access to your network.
16 >
17 > If you buy a second router (e.g. a Linksys or DLink), you'll
18 > just be duplicating the NAT/firewall/routing functions in the
19 > 2210. You can do that if you want. I used to run a two layer
20 > NAT setup with a Cisco 678 DSL modem (configure to forward all
21 > TCP/UDP ports) and an OpenWRT gateway. There were features I
22 > needed that OpenWRT had that the Cisco didn't.
23 >
24 > Unless there's something specific that you want to do that
25 > isn't supported by the 2210 (or you're aware of deficiencies in
26 > the 2210), I probably wouldn't bother adding a second firewall
27 > box.
31 I was thinking about buying a router IF I build a second box and need to
32 share the internet with it. The modem only has one port and apparently
33 zero reconfigurability because when I log in, there are no options to
34 change anything except what time it updates the modem software. So, I
35 hope it works well. o_O
36
37 Dale
38