From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Making sure I am a good netizen and secure.
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 15:00:15
1 On 2009-09-05, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > As some may know already, I recently got DSL.
4 [...]
5 > The DSL modem I am using is the Motorola 2210. It seems to be
6 > a gateway thing. I have no router at the moment
7
8 The 2210 is a router that is doing NAT with a stateful
9 firewall. It will (assuming it's not too buggy) prevent
10 outside access to your network.
11
12 If you buy a second router (e.g. a Linksys or DLink), you'll
13 just be duplicating the NAT/firewall/routing functions in the
14 2210. You can do that if you want. I used to run a two layer
15 NAT setup with a Cisco 678 DSL modem (configure to forward all
16 TCP/UDP ports) and an OpenWRT gateway. There were features I
17 needed that OpenWRT had that the Cisco didn't.
18
19 Unless there's something specific that you want to do that
20 isn't supported by the 2210 (or you're aware of deficiencies in
21 the 2210), I probably wouldn't bother adding a second firewall
22 box.
25 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Everywhere I look I
26 at see NEGATIVITY and ASPHALT
27 visi.com ...