From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive noise
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 00:49:20
1 Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 19/12/15 08:01, Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I finally got a new 3TB hard drive. I got one on sale for under $100.
6 >> Anyway, I put it in, did the LVM thing and set up my backup script, very
7 >> basic as it is. A little bit ago, I noticed a sound. It's not a click
8 >> or a metallic type sound. It sounds like the heads are doing random
9 >> reads/writes and the heads are moving but doing so noisily. Thing is,
10 >> there is no drive activity according to gkrellm or iotop. All the
11 >> drives should be basically idle. I even went to single user mode to be
12 >> sure nothing in KDE was doing some index thingy or something. Still,
13 >> nothing showed that there should be any drive activity, including the
14 >> hard drive light on the case.
15 >>
16 >> <<<< SNIP >>>>
17 >> The last SMART test I ran showed no problems but I have a fresh one
18 >> running as I type on all drives. Will update if it shows anything.
19 >>
20 >> Thoughts?
21 >>
22 >> Dale
23 >>
24 >> :-) :-)
27 > Mechanics trick - place a largish screwdriver end on each hard drive
28 > case in turn and the handle end to your ear. You can hear difference in
29 > sound quite clearly.
30 >
31 > BillK
37 That would likely work. I've also used a water hose to do that on
38 cars. I'm not sure how well that will work since the drives are only
39 like a inch apart. With the screwdriver I might even be able to feel
40 it. It's not very loud but I can hear it. One reason I can hear it so
41 well, the fans on my case are very quiet. In a quiet room, I can't hear
42 the fans. I can hear this drive noise even with the TV at a reasonable
43 level. With no TV, I can hear it pretty well. My water hose trick
44 wouldn't likely work but your screwdriver idea might work in more than
45 one way.
46
47 I also found this after the reply from Ian.
48
49 https://www.backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/
50
51 No wonder they had it on sale. Heck, why didn't they just say it was a
52 good door stop instead of a hard drive???
53
54 Dale
55