From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive noise
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 00:57:47
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Bill Kenworthy wrote:
4 > > On 19/12/15 08:01, Dale wrote:
5 > >> Howdy,
6 > >>
7 > >> I finally got a new 3TB hard drive. I got one on sale for under $100.
8 > >> Anyway, I put it in, did the LVM thing and set up my backup script, very
9 > >> basic as it is. A little bit ago, I noticed a sound. It's not a click
10 > >> or a metallic type sound. It sounds like the heads are doing random
11 > >> reads/writes and the heads are moving but doing so noisily. Thing is,
12 > >> there is no drive activity according to gkrellm or iotop. All the
13 > >> drives should be basically idle. I even went to single user mode to be
14 > >> sure nothing in KDE was doing some index thingy or something. Still,
15 > >> nothing showed that there should be any drive activity, including the
16 > >> hard drive light on the case.
17 > >>
18 > >> <<<< SNIP >>>>
19 > >> The last SMART test I ran showed no problems but I have a fresh one
20 > >> running as I type on all drives. Will update if it shows anything.
21 > >>
22 > >> Thoughts?
23 > >>
24 > >> Dale
25 > >>
26 > >> :-) :-)
27 > >>
28 > >>
29 > > Mechanics trick - place a largish screwdriver end on each hard drive
30 > > case in turn and the handle end to your ear. You can hear difference in
31 > > sound quite clearly.
32 > >
33 > > BillK
39 > That would likely work. I've also used a water hose to do that on
40 > cars. I'm not sure how well that will work since the drives are only
41 > like a inch apart. With the screwdriver I might even be able to feel
42 > it. It's not very loud but I can hear it. One reason I can hear it so
43 > well, the fans on my case are very quiet. In a quiet room, I can't hear
44 > the fans. I can hear this drive noise even with the TV at a reasonable
45 > level. With no TV, I can hear it pretty well. My water hose trick
46 > wouldn't likely work but your screwdriver idea might work in more than
47 > one way.
48 >
49 > I also found this after the reply from Ian.
50 >
51 > https://www.backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/
52 >
53 > No wonder they had it on sale. Heck, why didn't they just say it was a
54 > good door stop instead of a hard drive???
55
56 I always try to get something a bit better than consumer drives, at
57 least the equivalent of Western Digital Red which now has a longer
58 warranty -- notice that a lot of drives have only ONE year warranties
59 now? Doesn't that make you feel warm and fuzzy?
62 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
63 How do
64 you spend it?
65
66 John Covici