From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 19:30:33
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 13:21:37 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Oh, I had to switch to sddm for this too. You just change the setting
5 >> from kdm to sddm and it just works. It looks different but it works
6 >> fine. That may have carried over some settings. It selected the user
7 >> and was ready for my password just like kdm did. Again, it looks
8 >> different but it seems to work the same. I suspect one could adjust the
9 >> settings, somewhere, and make it look like kdm if they wanted to.
10 > That's because kdm is dead. I found sddm a little flakey. On my laptop it
11 > works more or less as expected, but on my desktop, selecting reboot or
12 > power off from the desktop drops me back to sddm without rebooting. I'm
13 > nit sure if this is an issue with sddm or plasma, maybe I'll try slim
14 > instead.
19 Yea, when I was googling around I found out that the plug was pulled on
20 kdm. The old kdm always worked for me but KDE5 and the plasma thing is
21 a whole new can of worms code wise from what I read. I guess a fresh
22 start was easier than trying to recode all that mess.
23
24 I haven't tried rebooting/shutdown yet so I guess I'll find out one time
25 or another if I have the same problem. Generally tho, I only
26 shutdown/reboot when I have a power failure here. So far, I'm at 118
27 days. When I do that, I usually do it within KDE since I already know I
28 have to shutdown and I'm almost always logged in.
29
30 I'm just glad this is a little smoother than the KDE3 to KDE4 mess. :-)
31
32 Dale
33