From: "Wojtek Dalętka" <wojtek@×××××××××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Avahi Keeps failing on Emerge - Maybe a Python Error?
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 21:57:28
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 18 January 2009 06:38:15 Richard Watson wrote:
3 >> I'm sorry about the delay in closing this. I finally figured out if I
4 >> remove "-pipe" from my /etc/make.conf CFLAGS that all my compile errors go
5 >> away. Looking at the reference on the subject this option tells GCC not to
6 >> create temporary files when compiling but to turn this off if low on RAM.
7 >> Not sure why this happens as I have a 1GB Ram. Maybe this is not enough
8 >> these days. Anyway problem solved.
9 >
10 > That's an interesting result, but I can't help thinking it's the wrong
11 > solution to the wrong problem. One of my machines has had merely 1G for 2
12 > years, before that it had 512M for 3 years and it has never shown this
13 > symptom. I have servers at work with 512M - same thing, even when building
14 > current packages.
15 >
16 > Gut feel is telling me that removing -pipe is simply revealing a deeper
17 > symptom somewhere - 1G is actually an enormous amount of memory for
18 > compilation purposes. If you feel like digging deeper, I'd be very interested
19 > to see where this one leads.
23 I would like to write my first post here just to inform you that I also
24 had this problem with avahi and pygtk.
25 Avahi failed to emerge and I had to remove pygtk from my use flags, than
26 it compiled OK.
27
28 I was just interested if removing "-pipe" from CFLAGS makes any
29 difference, and I tried remove it and emerge avahi with pygtk, but it
30 does not compile.
31 For me it compiles only without pygtk and changing -pipe doesn't work at
32 all. I checked this because I have 512M.
33
34 I don't know why I might need avahi with pygtk...disabling pygtk use
35 flag for avahi works fine and other packages compile well.
36
37 Wojtek