From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Video editing advice on formats and size of file
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:57:59
1 On Saturday 24 Dec 2011 01:55:43 Dale wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > > On 2011-12-23, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> Howdy,
5 > >>
6 > >> I been trying to get this to work right for a goooooood while now. I'm
7 > >> confused here. I have some videos that I download that are split up.
8 > >> Some have two or three parts and a few 4 or 5. What I can't get is
9 > >> this, I can't seem to take say two 250Mb videos and make it come
10 > >> anywhere near 500Mbs when spliced together.
11 > >
12 > > This always works for me with avi and mpeg files:
13 > > mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -quiet infile1.avi infile2.avi -o
14 > > outfile.avi
15 >
16 > I tried this but it made my video pixelated for some reason. The one I
17 > tested was a .flv so that may have a LOT to do with it. Maybe it needed
18 > different options. I tried the man page but it looked like Greek to
19 > me. I mostly watch videos but no idea on how to make them or even do
20 > much editing, tho I am sort of learning. My lady friend likes to watch
21 > videos so I have to put them together and burn them to a DVD.
22 >
23 > Things women make us guys do. lol
24
25 Hmm ... more likely she decided to keep you busy (quiet) and prove to herself
26 that you care enough to do things for her? No doubt you let slip that you
27 like playing with computers ... ;-)
28
29 Anyhow, have a look again at the mencoder man page. There's a few settings in
30 there for video called "extreme" and "insane". You may want to try them.
31
32 Alternatively you may find that ffmpeg will do what you want. There's a "copy"
33 option whereby it just copies the source with zero processing on video or
34 audio inputs.
37 Regards,
38 Mick