From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why the insistence on encryption and multiple devices?
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019 07:57:41
1 On Wednesday, 3 April 2019 02:37:46 BST Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > Just set USE="-cryptsetup -dmraid ..." and turn off whatever other
4 > flags you object to.
5
6 I did that, and also masked sys-fs/cryptsetup to enforce it. Emerge did indeed
7 complain loudly, and its dependency chain report clearly implied that
8 libblockdev was the cause, which is why I suspected that IUSE statement
9 (thanks for the explanation of its meaning).
10
11 "emerge --info | grep -e dmraid -e device-mapper -e lvm -e cryptsetup"
12 returned null. I may take the path of least resistance and just let it insist
13 on the bloat.
14
15 > Of course you should understand the implications, but these particular flags
16 > probably aren't really used for anything unless you are actually using LVM/
17 > LUKS/etc. I'd be careful about just turning off random flags unless you
18 > understand what they do. There are those who set -* in their make.conf and
19 > then go whitelisting whatever they need. IMO that is a lot of pain for not
20 > a lot of gain, except maybe in odd niches or for those with OCD... :)
21
22 I agree - and resisting lvm and crypt feels similar. I hope I'm not developing
23 that condition...
26 Regards,
27 Peter.