From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 16:21:58
1 >>> If my main rig starts using swap a lot, I'm going to be very curious.  I
2 >>> even used 8Gbs to put portages work directory on tmpfs.  I still didn't
3 >>> use
4 >>> any swap.  By the way, that doesn't seem to make the compiles any faster.
5 >>>  o_O
6 >>>
7 >> CPU bottleneck?
8 >>
9 >> - Grant
10 >>
11 > I sort of doubt it.  I have a AMD 4 core 3.2Ghz CPU.  A 6 core is about all
12 > that beats it.  I think they have a 3.3. and a 3.4 now but that's marginal
13 > really.
14
15 I just got a 3.7! :)
16
17 > It has always been said that reading and writing to the portage work
18 > directory would slow down compiles a bit.  Well, I tested the theory and it
19 > seemed to have taken a few seconds longer with portage's work directory on
20 > tmpfs instead of a hard drive.  I see the reason it should be faster and I
21 > think it should be faster but when I tried it, theory ran up against
22 > reality.  We all know what happens when theory meets reality.  Theory is
23 > small and weak but reality is large, strong and a great teacher to boot.
24 >  Reality always wins even when it don't make sense.  :/
25 >
26 > Don't worry, I was as surprised as anyone.  I found on the forum where
27 > someone else came to the same conclusions.  I guess it caches stuff or just
28 > that drives are faster and smarter nowadays.
29
30 Thanks for sharing your results Dale. Surprising stuff.
31
32 - Grant