From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] postgresql 9.5.2 versus Gentoo wiki install instructions?
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 06:55:56
1 Longer answer:
2
3 On Friday, May 20, 2016 10:36:41 PM waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
4 > Yes, I did RTFM at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PostgreSQL/QuickStart
5 > and that's part of my problem. <G> I figured it would be a simple
6 > search and replace "9.3" ==> "9.5" in the wiki, but...
7
8 A quick scan should indicate that.
9 However:
10 PG_INITDB_OPTS="--locale=en_US.UTF-8 --lc-messages=sv_SE.UTF-8"
11 is wrong. See below.
12
13 > 1) The wiki recommends...
14 > PG_INITDB_OPTS="--locale=en_US.UTF-8"
15
16 Where did you configure this?
17
18 I did the following:
19 # cat /etc/conf.d/postgresql-9.5 | grep -i utf
20 PG_INITDB_OPTS="--encoding=UTF8"
23 > ...but I get...
24 >
25 > > The database cluster will be initialized with locale "en_US.iso88591".
26 > > initdb: "en_US.UTF8" is not a valid server encoding name
27 >
28 > "locale -a" returns...
29 > C
30 > POSIX
31 > en_US
32 > en_US.iso88591
33 > en_US.utf8
34
35 Postgresql only uses the codepage, not the localisation ("en_US") part.
36
37 > 2) The wiki says...
38 >
39 > > This time the focus is upon the files in the PGDATA directory,
40 > > /etc/postgresql-9.3 , instead with primary focus on the
41 > > postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf files.
42 >
43 > "ls /etc/postgresql-9.5/" returns...
44 > postgresql.conf psqlrc
45 >
46 > but postgresql seems to want them in /var/lib instead...
47 >
48 > > mv: cannot stat '/var/lib/postgresql/9.5/data/pg_hba.conf': No such
49 > > file or directory
50 > > mv: cannot stat '/var/lib/postgresql/9.5/data/pg_ident.conf': No
51 > > such file or directory
52 > > mv: cannot stat '/var/lib/postgresql/9.5/data/postgresql.conf':
53 > > No such file or directory
54 >
55 > Can somebody please confirm the correct way to go?
56
57 Did you run
58 emerge --config dev-db/postgresql:9.5
59 succesfully?
60
61 > Why I want postgresql... I've been keeping a bunch of data in a
62 > spreadsheet, and it's gotten too large. The spreadsheet locks up my
63 > system when I try to update it. I've used "top" and watched as
64 > gnumeric's memory consumption grows to eat all available ram. It locks
65 > up the system so I can't even ssh in. This is on an X86_64 with 8 gigs
66 > of RAM! Fortunately, "magic-sysrq" allows a relatively clean shutdown.
67 > While we're at it, is there a way for gnumeric to pull in data directly
68 > from postgresql? ODBC? I'm aware of copying from postgresql to a CSV
69 > file and importing that, but it's rather clunky.
70
71 There are ODBC and native drivers. You need to check which have support
72 directly. Look for "postgres" USE-flags in spreadsheet applications.
73
74 > My main problem is that columns of several thousand rows are functions
75 > based on other columns of several thousand rows. For the time-being,
76 > I've split up the spreadsheet into a few pieces, but a database is the
77 > best solution. If I could run the calculations in the database, and
78 > pull in the final results as static numbers for graphing, that would
79 > greatly reduce the strain on the spreadsheet. Or is it possible to
80 > graph directly from postgresql?
81
82 Not to my knowledge, I tend to use spreadsheets or graphics libraries in C++
83 GUI applications. (Still playing with the latter, so not the best resource for
84 that)
85
86 > I used to work with Oracle and PL/SQL before I retired, so I think I
87 > know what I'm getting into as far as the database stuff is concerned.
88 > Once I get past the Gentoo-specific install problems, I'll subscribe to
89 > a postgresql mailing list, and ask postgresql-specific questions there.
90
91 Postgresql has it's own procedural language, might be nice to look into that
92 in that case.
93
94 I would suggest the USER-mailing list.
95 The development one (HACKERS) deals with the actual internals, not something
96 most users would be interested in.
99 Joost