From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resetting the root passwd
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 14:18:18
1 On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 07:26:07 -0500
2 Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On 2012-01-10 2:12 PM, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen
5 > <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de> wrote:
6 > > The simpelest solution should be to copy the password-hash of a user
7 > > whose password is know to you.
8 > > Afterwards you can log in an change the password again.
9 >
10 > Thanks, I like that better and it worked like a charm, this way the
11 > root account is never unprotected (even for a minute)... although
12 > remote root login is disabled anyway...
13 >
14 > > And for the future:http://xkcd.com/936/ ;)
15 >
16 > I couldn't live without Passwordmaker (Firefox Addon), with it, I can
17 > have as strong and random passwords as I want on every site, it auto
18 > fills the username/password for me (if it is a web login page), but
19 > doesn't store any password anywhere...
23 Of course it stores the password somewhere. How else could it log you
24 in next time? It isn't magic, it retrieves the password from somewhere.
29 > http://passwordmaker.org/
35 Alan McKinnnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com