From: Thomas Kear <thomas.kear@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best printer to use with Gentoo.
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:43:22
1 Well I've grown quite attached to my low-cost laser, an HP LaserJet 1022.
2 19ppm black on A4, 20ppm on letter, 1200x600 or 600x600dpi. They could have
3 been a bit more generous than the 8MB of ram they gave this model, but it
4 doesn't present a problem in anything but extreme images (which you wouldn't
5 be printing on a B&W laser printer of this price anyway).
6 No problems connecting via USB (HP even include a USB cable, not a common
7 thing nowadays), for a small amount more money the 1022n comes with inbuilt
8 ethernet. Mine is attached to an external JetDirect which seems to work fine
9 as well.
10
11 More info from linuxprinting.org:
12 http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1022
13
14 I recommend the 1022 over the slightly cheaper 1020 (suggested by another
15 user) due to not requiring boot-time firmware loading, one less thing to
16 worry about.
17
18 By the looks you should be able to make one yours for under USD$200.
19
20 --Thomas