From: Hamie <hamish@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best printer to use with Gentoo.
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:38:45
1 On Wednesday 24 January 2007 21:37, Thomas Kear wrote:
2 > Well I've grown quite attached to my low-cost laser, an HP LaserJet 1022.
3 > 19ppm black on A4, 20ppm on letter, 1200x600 or 600x600dpi. They could
4 > have been a bit more generous than the 8MB of ram they gave this model, but
5 > it doesn't present a problem in anything but extreme images (which you
6 > wouldn't be printing on a B&W laser printer of this price anyway).
7 > No problems connecting via USB (HP even include a USB cable, not a common
8 > thing nowadays), for a small amount more money the 1022n comes with inbuilt
9 > ethernet. Mine is attached to an external JetDirect which seems to work
10 > fine as well.
11 >
12 > More info from linuxprinting.org:
13 > http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1022
14 >
15 > I recommend the 1022 over the slightly cheaper 1020 (suggested by another
16 > user) due to not requiring boot-time firmware loading, one less thing to
17 > worry about.
18 >
19 > By the looks you should be able to make one yours for under USD$200.
22 Damn, that's a good price...
23
24 I have a LaserJet 2600N (Network connected), which works like a charm. It
25 needed a custom config file from the net somewhere, but it's a cracker apart
26 from that (Except the envelope feed. You have to remove the paper to feed an
27 envelope else you get a piece of paper infront of the envelope & the printing
28 goes on the paper instead.
29
30 I also have a PSC1210. All-in-one job. I've had one problem with that under an
31 older kernel that wouldn't create the device nodes properly (Umm... Fro
32 memory the nodes were there, but you couldn't write to them).
33
34 H