From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Modular X.org issue (feelings of absolute failure)
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 19:57:52
1 On 11/2/06, Rafael Barrera Oro <rafael@××××××××××××××××.ar> wrote:
2 > Richard Fish wrote:
3 > > Not that I'm aware of. Can you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
4 > > file...maybe there is some clue there.
5 > >
6 > > -Richard
7 >
8 > Gladly, could the problem be that i compiled with KDE with the DRI flag
9 > set on make.conf?, anyway here it goes:
10 >
11 > Information about my grapchic card: VGA compatible controller: VIA
12 > Technologies, Inc. S3 Unichrome Pro VGA Adapter (rev 01)
13
14 Hmm, your log looks incomplete. The beginning of it should be some lines like:
15
16 X Window System Version 7.1.1
17 Release Date: 12 May 2006
18 X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
19
20 Regardless, it looks like you are using the vesa driver for your
21 hardware. This is pretty much the lowest common denominator driver,
22 and will be *very* slow. I'm not sure if you need the s3 or via
23 driver for your hardware (perhaps someone else with similar hardware
24 can comment).
25
26 What did you set VIDEO_CARDS to in /etc/make.conf? This should
27 probably be something like:
28
29 VIDEO_CARDS="vesa s3 via"
30
31 If you have to change this setting, you need to remerge
32 x11-base/xorg-server. I suggest to keep the vesa setting only to make
33 sure you have a recovery path if you make a mistake.
34
35 Once that is done, you should be able to change the Driver setting in
36 xorg.conf from "vesa" to "s3" (or "via"). The Driver setting to
37 change appears in the "Device" section.
38
39 -Richard
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list