From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 21:45:00
1 On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 2:06 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > > On 12/11/2022 23:37, Dale wrote:
5 > >> Usually, I try to update about once a year. I don't change hardware
6 > >> much.
7 > >
8 > > The main reason I suggested LTS is because that, *when* you decide to
9 > > do a @world update, you will get the latest LTS of the same main
10 > > version you're already using. For example you'll go from 5.15.20 to
11 > > 5.15.78. And that means you won't have to bother with an array of
12 > > endless "make oldconfig" questions. There'll be like one or two at
13 > > most, which is trivial to deal with.
14 > >
15 > > I've been using LTS kernels for years now, and I never looked back.
16 > > "make oldconfig" usually doesn't say anything, making it a
17 > > ridiculously fast and no-brainer update, and yet I get the latest
18 > > bugfixes and security fixes.
19 > >
20 > > It just works :-)
26 > Thing is, I may go a year, sometimes more, without updating the kernel.
27 > If I rebooted often, I could see using a LTS kernel. If a kernel can
28 > run for months with no problems, it's stable enough for me. Plus my
29 > hardware works.
30 >
31 > I have even built a kernel but never actually booted it. By the time I
32 > get around to rebooting, I've had to build another kernel. I generally
33 > always work from a known stable config tho. The only reason I wouldn't
34 > is if I build a new system and have to start from scratch. I've also
35 > had times when I had to update because my video drivers wouldn't build
36 > with a older kernel version that I'm running. That doesn't happen to
37 > often but I recall running into that at least once.
38 >
39 > Either way, biggest question was if there was some known breakage
40 > between my old version and a newer version. Maybe the one I tried just
41 > had some weird problem that only affected me or I just missed something
42 > during the oldconfig. I wish I could recall the error. Who knows on
43 > that.
44 >
45 > Thanks.
46 >
47 > Dale
48 >
49 > :-) :-)
53 Dale,
54 While I completely understand your 'reboot once a year' POV, I think
55 you might *possibly* be missing the point Nikos and others are making.
56
57 If you are on 5.14.XX you aren't currently using a LTS kernel. The
58 LTS kernels would be the 5.10 and 5.15 series, according to kernel.org.
59
60 If you don't CARE what kernel you are running then why not build
61 5.15.78 which is currently the most recent LTS kernel. If there are
62 updates to that series for bug & security fixes then once you have
63 built 5.15.78 (WHETHER YOU RUN IT OR NOT) then further
64 updates to that series won't be a big deal and probably don't even
65 require much of a config change or a tool chain change. It WILL
66 be easy.
67
68 You would move forward going from 5.14.15 to 5.15.78. If
69 you don't NEED something in 6.0.5 or 6.0.8 then why bother?
70
71 Once you have 5.15.78 built and installed it's there if you
72 reboot. If you don't reboot then you'll go on building 5.15
73 kernels until some newer LTS kernel is named.
74
75 It is truly an easy way to manage the kernel part of
76 running Linux.
77
78 Good luck,
79 Mark