From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual or Quad CPU complications?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 09:10:54
1 Something _really_ weird happened to your quoting; you quoted my
2 email, but your email client said you wrote it.
3
4 On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
6
7 ^-- weird --^
8
9 >>> On Sunday, December 16, 2012 01:52:46 PM Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
10 >>>> Am Samstag, 15. Dezember 2012, 20:57:24 schrieb J. Roeleveld:
11 >>>> > Even on a system with only 2 sockets, it can be useful to have NUMA
12 >>>> > available.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> or not, because it costs you performance.
15 >>>
16 >>> When does it cost performance?
17 >>> In all situations?
18 >>
19 >> It adds some additional logic to memory allocation (put an allocation
20 >> near the process that uses it) and to process scheduling (keep the
21 >> process near its memory, but bump it to a more distant idle core if
22 >> necessary).
23 >
24 > That's the way it's supposed to work, yes :)
25 >
26 >> In all honestly, it's not a performance loss you're likely to notice,
27 >> unless you're so in need of squeezing out every spare cycle that you
28 >> most definitely _have_ hardware where there are disconnected memory
29 >> banks. I'm not convinced it's even measurable for us mundanes and our
30 >> hardware.
31 >
32 > I don't think I would notice it either, but as the system I have supports
33 > it, I want to use it.
34 > And then I want to be certain it actually supports it correctly.
35 >
36 > The system I'm talking about is used for testing purposes. Running
37 > multiple VMs. As far as I know, Xen has support for it, just need to
38 > configure it properly.
39 > And for this usecase, I think NUMA with only 2 physical CPUs should make a
40 > positive difference.
41
42 Don't get me wrong; I was arguing that it shouldn't hurt to have it enabled. :)
45 :wq