From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Sony Viao Vista and Gentoo
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:31:29
1 On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 21:45 +0000, James wrote:
2 > Ok Albert,
3 >
4 > I'm convinced. I'm going to give your suggestions a whirl.
5 > One cautious step I'm adding as suggested, is to back up the
6 > virgin drive with DD.
7 >
8 > I'm looking for a cable so that I can copy the sony drive
9 > onto a gentoo partition of another system via a usb 2.0 to
10 > ata/eide cable.
11 >
12 > It was suggested this cable:
13 > ttp://tinyurl.com/ynhszy [sic]
14 >
15 > But being in Florida and only being able to use the company
16 > credit card over the phone, does anyone know of another cable
17 > I can purchase to back up the laptop's drive? HOwfully a vendor
18 > that takes visa over the phone....
19 > <brain dead company policy....>
20
21 I would actually opt for an enclosure. Qalculate is telling me that
22 £24.95 is ~$51 USD. You can get an enclosure at Best Buy , Frys (if
23 they have that there) or CompUSA at around the same price (e.g.
24 http://tinyurl.com/2tfyml). Does your company allow you to go to
25 purchase at a store?
26
27 Also, you may want to consider ntfsclone instead of dd for backing up
28 ntfs partitions. ntfsclone is sparse-file and free-space aware so may
29 be more efficient WRT disk space and time. I haven't tried it yet
30 myself, but it's on my list.
31 --
32 Albert W. Hopkins
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list