From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo: Grub, alternate GNU/Linux system on another partition
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 23:45:10
1 On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 12:23:28 -0800, Alan E. Davis wrote:
2
3 > I'm giving Gentoo another try, having been using Ubuntu for quite a
4 > while, and more recently Mint. I would like to be able to access Mint
5 > until the Gentoo system is working as I'd like it.
6 >
7 > I have gotten through the install, for the most part, up to grub. I can
8 > see how to edit the grub.conf file for my Gentoo partition. However, it
9 > isn't clear to me from the examples how to write a grub.conf entry for
10 > Mint's root (/) partition, on /dev/sda8. I am asking for advice on
11 > writing the grub.conf file.
12
13 I wouldn't bother, Mint already has Grub2, which makes adding extra
14 distros a piece of cake. Install Gentoo, without a bootloader, reboot
15 into Mint and run "sudo grub-update". It will scan your disks, detect the
16 Gentoo setup and add a menu entry to Mint's bootloader. It is even
17 sensible enough to recognise that the installation is Gentoo and name it
18 accordingly.
19
20 If you decide to dump Mint, you'll need to install Grub2 on Gentoo and
21 copy the config file over, but that's all.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 "Everything takes longer than expected, even when you take
28 into account Hoffstead's Law." - Hoffstead's Law