From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia update problems
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 14:30:56
1 On 01/04/2011 02:50 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday 03 January 2011 14:40:41 walt wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm wondering if you have some mixture of baselayout versions on that
5 >> machine from previous updates.
6 >
7 > Unlikely: this box has been ~amd64 since before it had a complete
8 > system.
9 >
10 >> Could your machine be trying to start something other than kdm by
11 >> mistake? I.e., maybe you are starting kdm for the first time from
12 >> the VT instead of re-starting it?
13 >
14 > Also unlikely.
15 >
16 > I tried taking xdm out of the default run-level and calling both it and
17 > xdm-setup in /etc/conf.d/local. It started up ok then.
18
19 That experiment still makes me suspect something in /etc is wrong. I'm out
20 of ideas except to search through /etc for files with old dates.
21
22 >> -- just a SWAG :)
23 >
24 > Eh? Don't know that one.