From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext3 partition dissapeared :(
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 07:37:14
1 On Tuesday 23 January 2007 18:05, Sigfrido V. Ortiz C. wrote:
2 > Try fsck --help
3 > then select the options related to recovery and repair the system
4 > file at least twice, then reboot your system with "shutdown -b now"
5 >
6 > Based in my experience this occur after shutdown by power fault and
7 > not by command.
8 > The format must be fsck -p -f /dev/partition_name
9 >
10 > the flag -p will repair automatically your system and the flag -f
11 > force the revision even the file system appear like clean.
12 > Good luck!!!
13 > Sigfrido
14
15 Hi,
16
17 Please don't top post. If you know the fsck command then you know why I
18 have asked this.
19
20 I wouldn't advise that the OP follows your advise - from the way he
21 wrote his post it is very likely he doesn't know a whole lot about
22 filesystems and fsck programs. So he will blindly enter your commands,
23 forcing an action to occur and potentially causing further loss without
24 him having much of a clue about what he has just done.
25
26 The force flag is useful, after you get an output from fsck and you know
27 what it will do and are prepared to accept the loss. jcd isn't in that
28 position.
29
30 jcd, what you should do is gather information about what happened and
31 try figure it out. If you can't, lots of people here will decrypt it
32 for you (as much as possible) then tell you what to do and explain what
33 will happen as a result.
34
35 The golden rule: don't ever run a file system checker blindly without
36 some understanding of what it's doing.
37 >