From: Rohit <rohit.sharma@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: IDE/USB problem : not both disks recognized on same IDE channel
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 08:55:32
1 To Volkerarmin and Wwong,
2
3 Thanks for your inputs - both of you. I will try these both right away and
4 let you know.
5
6 Best regards,
7 Rohit
8
9 2009/9/5 Rohit <rohit.sharma@×××××××××.org>
10
11 > Hi there,
12 >
13 > I rejoin the list after 5-6 years. Was able to fix most of the things
14 > myself but this one has me totally bowled over.
15 >
16 > I have an IDE disk enclosure (can house 2 disks per IDE channel, a total of
17 > 4 currently plugged in) which makes IDE disks available to the main computer
18 > via 2x USB 2.0 connection (One USB 2.0 port connected to IDE adapter).
19 > The problem I have is that the computer is able to see only 1 IDE disk per
20 > channel. At a time, as a result, my server can only see 2 disks instead of 4
21 > connected, one disk per channel only.
22 >
23 > I have tried all possible combinations of jumpers (master/slave,
24 > cable-select, force-slave-present) for each pair.
25 >
26 > Interestingly - Windows XP / YetAnotherReiserFS GUI is able to see/read all
27 > 4 (2 pairs) disks so I think it is something that needs fixing in Linux
28 > kernel/drivers and the enclosure box is not the source of problem.
29 > I confirm individual disks are fine as well.
30 > I am currently running Linux 2.6.27-gentoo-r8.
31 >
32 > Has anyone else encountered this problem before ? /proc/config.gz is also
33 > attached.
34 >
35 > Thanks in advance,
36 > Rohit
42 Quality photos for personal and commercial use : Visit
43 http://anglianphotos.com