From: Rohit <rohit.sharma@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: IDE/USB problem : not both disks recognized on same IDE channel
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 12:50:09
1 The results are encouraging !
2 I am able to see both disks on at least 1 IDE channel, so we have surely
3 fixed the problem with the kernel.
4 Will check cabling etc for the other IDE channel.
5
6 Thanks very much !
7 Rohit
8
9 2009/9/6 Rohit <rohit.sharma@×××××××××.org>
10
11 > To Volkerarmin and Wwong,
12 >
13 > Thanks for your inputs - both of you. I will try these both right away and
14 > let you know.
15 >
16 > Best regards,
17 > Rohit
18 >
19 > 2009/9/5 Rohit <rohit.sharma@×××××××××.org>
20 >
21 > Hi there,
22 >>
23 >> I rejoin the list after 5-6 years. Was able to fix most of the things
24 >> myself but this one has me totally bowled over.
25 >>
26 >> I have an IDE disk enclosure (can house 2 disks per IDE channel, a total
27 >> of 4 currently plugged in) which makes IDE disks available to the main
28 >> computer via 2x USB 2.0 connection (One USB 2.0 port connected to IDE
29 >> adapter).
30 >> The problem I have is that the computer is able to see only 1 IDE disk per
31 >> channel. At a time, as a result, my server can only see 2 disks instead of 4
32 >> connected, one disk per channel only.
33 >>
34 >> I have tried all possible combinations of jumpers (master/slave,
35 >> cable-select, force-slave-present) for each pair.
36 >>
37 >> Interestingly - Windows XP / YetAnotherReiserFS GUI is able to see/read
38 >> all 4 (2 pairs) disks so I think it is something that needs fixing in Linux
39 >> kernel/drivers and the enclosure box is not the source of problem.
40 >> I confirm individual disks are fine as well.
41 >> I am currently running Linux 2.6.27-gentoo-r8.
42 >>
43 >> Has anyone else encountered this problem before ? /proc/config.gz is also
44 >> attached.
45 >>
46 >> Thanks in advance,
47 >> Rohit