From: Matt Causey <matt.causey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia warning comes a tad late
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 14:15:10
1 I am total Gentoo newb :D but it seems kind of fundamental to the
2 concept of this distribution that its users are going to make
3 themselves aware of the details of system updates. Short of reading
4 ridiculous amounts of doco...folks should be reading the output of the
5 emerge commands to learn about edge cases like this one.
6
7 In the short few days I've been using Gentoo, there have been several
8 occasions where had I not read that output, my system would have been
9 'broken' on next reboot. At the very least there were additional
10 steps needed for me to install that package I tried to emerge (missing
11 USE flags, requests to rebuild other packages, external data
12 downloads, etc.).
13
14 Personally, I rather like this approach. The folks maintaining the
15 builds take the time to identify these edge cases, which makes the
16 portage text output quite helpful.
19 Matt
20