From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bumping (was:usb webcam)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 21:01:31
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 18 October 2008 11:49:39 Stroller wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 17 Oct 2008, at 21:52, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> bump
7 >>>
8 >> Please don't do that here.
11 > [New thread for the benefit of thread-aware mailer users]
12 >
13 > I hate that too. Actually it annoys me intensely, especially when people have
14 > never read ESR's essay on writing intelligent questions and bump after 6
15 > hours. Or forget that the list is international and there are timezones.
16 >
17 > But, it can be a useful mechanism. Probably something worthy of discussion:
18 >
19 > We can't always assume that no replies automatically means no-one reading the
20 > list knows the answer. Folk often go away for a week and simply delete list
21 > mail when they return, or can't be bothered reading the list for a few days.
22 > Sometimes people just can't be bothered answering (I do this quite a lot)
23 >
24 > There can be many reasons for people who can answer and don't. So, assuming
25 > that the question was intelligently asked the first time, what is an
26 > acceptable way around here to produce the intended effect of a forum-style
27 > bump?
28 >
29 > I'll go first and offer my usual way: wait 3 days to a week and re-post in a
30 > new thread. Say up front that it's a repost and add any new relevant data.
34 Since I use Seamonkey and read each one to see if I can even remotely
35 provide help, I can't say that it would ever do any good from my point.
36 Maybe it would if someone else is using the web based reader or it was
37 posted on the forums but no point here.
38
39 I guess the only thing that gets on my nerves is personal attacks so not
40 much bothers me anyway. Text or HTML, doesn't bother me. Top posting
41 does when you have to bounce back and forth across five or six replies
42 but I'm usually seasick by then anyway. o_O Bad subject lines don't
43 help much but they usually get the idea when no one replies after a
44 while. At least here we are pretty sure what distro they are using
45 unlike the KDE mailing list.
46
47 Just don't see where bumping would help any here. Could be wrong tho.
48 Wouldn't be the first time for that. -_o
49
50 Dale
51