From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bumping (was:usb webcam)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 12:15:04
1 On Saturday 18 October 2008 11:49:39 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 17 Oct 2008, at 21:52, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
3 > > bump
4 >
5 > Please don't do that here.
6
7 [New thread for the benefit of thread-aware mailer users]
8
9 I hate that too. Actually it annoys me intensely, especially when people have
10 never read ESR's essay on writing intelligent questions and bump after 6
11 hours. Or forget that the list is international and there are timezones.
12
13 But, it can be a useful mechanism. Probably something worthy of discussion:
14
15 We can't always assume that no replies automatically means no-one reading the
16 list knows the answer. Folk often go away for a week and simply delete list
17 mail when they return, or can't be bothered reading the list for a few days.
18 Sometimes people just can't be bothered answering (I do this quite a lot)
19
20 There can be many reasons for people who can answer and don't. So, assuming
21 that the question was intelligently asked the first time, what is an
22 acceptable way around here to produce the intended effect of a forum-style
23 bump?
24
25 I'll go first and offer my usual way: wait 3 days to a week and re-post in a
26 new thread. Say up front that it's a repost and add any new relevant data.
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com