From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Not enough RAM for dev-qt/qtwebengine build
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 18:37:11
1 On Sat, Jun 15, 2019, at 14:19, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 05:15:41PM +0300, Alexey Eschenko wrote
3 > > Thank you. Didn't think about that. Don't know why though. My
4 > > MAKEOPTS was "-j32". Looks like that was too many for package like
5 > > qtwebengine. Solved the problem with creating specific environment
6 > > for qtwebengine and setting it up in /etc/portage/package.env/ It was
7 > > veeeery long build process but this time it finished successfully. I
8 > > think I'll try to find more appropriate value for qtwebengine which
9 > > could be used with 32GB of RAM.
10 >
11 > Please use plain text, not HTML.
12 >
13 > According to
14 > https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2013/01/14/makeopts-jcore-1-is-not-the-best-optimization/
15 > the fastest compiles come with setting MAKEOPTS to the number of cores
16 > in your machine. E.g. for a dual core cpu, use "-j2", for a 4 core cpu
17 > use "-j4", etc. To check the number of cpus in your machine, execute...
18 >
19 > grep -c ^flags /proc/cpuinfo
20
21 That's a good rule but not necessarily always true. My old machine was an i7-3930K (6 cores, 12 threads) w/ 32G RAM. I had /var/tmp on tmpfs. I benchmarked firefox, chromium, and some other big projects once and -j13 was consistently the fastest on that box.
22
23 As that blog post says:
24
25 > I’m just saying, ${core} + 1 is not the best optimization for me
26 > and the test confirms the part:“but this guideline isn’t always perfect”
27
28 Depends on available RAM, how fast your disk is, etc.
29
30 Alec