From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Patching of ebuilds
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:30:11
1 On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I've had a look on the web but can't seem to find any instructions on
4 > how to do the patching of ebuilds. I have the situation where I've tried to
5 > install the media centre app MMSV2. I've done the emerge, a lot of dependent
6 > functionality was compiled and now it's up to compiling the actual MMSV2.
7 > When compiling, an error happens. I had a look in bugs.gentoo.org and there
8 > is a bug in there that covers, I think, the failure.
9 >
10 > Attached to the bug is a patch that someone has developed. I now want
11 > to use this patch to patch the ebuild and see if it really does fix the
12 > problem. My problem is that I don't know the actual steps needed to do the
13 > patching. I know about the patch utility but I don't know where the actual
14 > files are, and how I should do the patching so that Portage does not view
15 > the patched files as corrupt and therefore won't do the emerge.
16 >
17 > If someone can tell me how, or point me to a webpage that tells me
18 > how, to do the patching it would be greatly appreciated.
19 >
20 > Regards,
21 > Andrew
22
23 You can usually use the "ebuild" command to do the portage steps
24 separately, so after unpacking you can change to the portage tmpdir
25 and apply the patch from bugzilla. Then proceed with the making and
26 installing steps with "ebuild".