From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google Chrome leftovers
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:49:12
1 On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 02:38:48PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >
3 > Thanks for the info. Actually I haven't tried any version yet. I was
4 > just curious about finding some app that might receive text message
5 > sent from a cell phone. I.e. - instead of giving my cell phone number
6 > which I'd rather keep private I might give a Google-Talk phone number
7 > and receive the messages at my desk. I think this can be done with
8 > Skype but you have to buy a phone number from them. It seems to me
9 > that Google gives theirs out for free, at least right now.
10 >
11 > I believe you are correct about the ?? versions. They aren't in portage here.
12 >
13 > Thanks again,
14 > Mark
15
16 There is a service called Google Voice. You get a phone number from them and
17 can forward it to another phone. Also, it will send voice messages to your
18 Google mail account, and even translate them (not well) to text. It will also
19 send text messages. This was the number I put on my business cards (it's in my
20 sig) so that I could receive calls to my cell number w/out actually giving it
21 out. When someone calls 662-205-6424 it tells me I have a call from (and I
22 assume they're asked to give their name), press 1 to accept. If I don't want
23 to talk to them at that time, I don't answer, and they're routed to the voice
24 mail. If they leave a message, it's sent to my Google account as a sound file
25 and translated to text. That's the gist of it...
26
27 When my one-year with this Android phone is up in Dec, we're getting iPhones
28 and also canceling all the Google accounts and services. We don't agree with
29 the new privacy policies they released March 1, 2012. Google was not a
30 favorite before then, actually. But if we didn't keep the Google account we
31 couldn't get updates to the Android phone. Which, by the way, is a piece of
32 junk (Samsung Galaxy S). Android OS is basically Googles *borrowing* from
33 Linux and OSS over the years, and they've done an amazingly poor job of it.
34
35 Be that as it may ... Google Voice has been nice. If some sane and responsible
36 party who valued privacy and freedom as we do had a similar service, we'd be
37 interested.
38 --
39 Happy Penguin Computers >')
40 126 Fenco Drive ( \