From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google Chrome leftovers
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 01:08:19
1 On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Bruce Hill
2 <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 02:38:48PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Thanks for the info. Actually I haven't tried any version yet. I was
6 >> just curious about finding some app that might receive text message
7 >> sent from a cell phone. I.e. - instead of giving my cell phone number
8 >> which I'd rather keep private I might give a Google-Talk phone number
9 >> and receive the messages at my desk. I think this can be done with
10 >> Skype but you have to buy a phone number from them. It seems to me
11 >> that Google gives theirs out for free, at least right now.
12 >>
13 >> I believe you are correct about the ?? versions. They aren't in portage here.
14 >>
15 >> Thanks again,
16 >> Mark
17 >
18 > There is a service called Google Voice. You get a phone number from them and
19 > can forward it to another phone. Also, it will send voice messages to your
20 > Google mail account, and even translate them (not well) to text. It will also
21 > send text messages. This was the number I put on my business cards (it's in my
22 > sig) so that I could receive calls to my cell number w/out actually giving it
23 > out. When someone calls 662-205-6424 it tells me I have a call from (and I
24 > assume they're asked to give their name), press 1 to accept. If I don't want
25 > to talk to them at that time, I don't answer, and they're routed to the voice
26 > mail. If they leave a message, it's sent to my Google account as a sound file
27 > and translated to text. That's the gist of it...
28 >
29 > When my one-year with this Android phone is up in Dec, we're getting iPhones
30 > and also canceling all the Google accounts and services. We don't agree with
31 > the new privacy policies they released March 1, 2012. Google was not a
32 > favorite before then, actually. But if we didn't keep the Google account we
33 > couldn't get updates to the Android phone. Which, by the way, is a piece of
34 > junk (Samsung Galaxy S). Android OS is basically Googles *borrowing* from
35 > Linux and OSS over the years, and they've done an amazingly poor job of it.
36 >
37 > Be that as it may ... Google Voice has been nice. If some sane and responsible
38 > party who valued privacy and freedom as we do had a similar service, we'd be
39 > interested.
40 > --
41 > Happy Penguin Computers >')
42 > 126 Fenco Drive ( \
43 > Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
44 > support@×××××××××××××××××××××.com
45 > 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
46 > http://happypenguincomputers.com/
47 >
48 > Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting
51 Bruce,
52 As my interest (at this time, today only) is text message, does the
53 Google Voice service accept text messages like a cell phone would or
54 is it purely a voice service like a land line?
55
56 Thanks,
57 Mark