From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Skype now will only work with pulseaudio?
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 02:32:52
1 On 22/06/14 19:53, Mick wrote:
2 > I was surprised to find that skype now has the pulseaudio flag set as a
3 > default. Well, that didn't really surprise me, but what did is that after I
4 > unset the pulseaudio flag and emerged skype-4.3.0.37, audio in skype no longer
5 > works. :-/
6 >
7 > The skype website says that alsa is no longer supported without pulseaudio in
8 > their freshly cut Microsoft-owned code. Why is then the pulseaudio flag
9 > provided in portage, if without audio skype would lose its core functionality
10 > - i.e. making voice calls? I guess someone may only use it for IM chat, but
11 > that I would think is an edge use case. Most people I know would use it for
12 > voice and perhaps video calls.
13
14 For chat. Skype is the continuation of MSN/Messenger, so many people use
15 it for chat too.
18 > In any case, should I install pulseaudio? So far I had not missed it in my
19 > world to manage my audio needs. Looking at the wiki page:
20 >
21 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PulseAudio
22 >
23 > it seems awfully complicated to me, for something which for my purposes would
24 > be just a new 'alsamixer'. :p
25
26 If *that* looks complicated to you, then I do have to ask: why on earth
27 are you using Gentoo? That guide is extremely easy to follow by any
28 average Gentooer.