From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Skype now will only work with pulseaudio?
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 16:54:09
1 I was surprised to find that skype now has the pulseaudio flag set as a
2 default. Well, that didn't really surprise me, but what did is that after I
3 unset the pulseaudio flag and emerged skype-4.3.0.37, audio in skype no longer
4 works. :-/
5
6 The skype website says that alsa is no longer supported without pulseaudio in
7 their freshly cut Microsoft-owned code. Why is then the pulseaudio flag
8 provided in portage, if without audio skype would lose its core functionality
9 - i.e. making voice calls? I guess someone may only use it for IM chat, but
10 that I would think is an edge use case. Most people I know would use it for
11 voice and perhaps video calls.
12
13 In any case, should I install pulseaudio? So far I had not missed it in my
14 world to manage my audio needs. Looking at the wiki page:
15
16 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PulseAudio
17
18 it seems awfully complicated to me, for something which for my purposes would
19 be just a new 'alsamixer'. :p
20
21 Are you using PA and how would you suggest I go about installing and
22 configuring it (if I must) for minimal interference with my audio usage?
25 Regards,
26 Mick