From: james <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: remote installation, dual boot
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 16:57:40
1 Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:
4 > On 23.04.2015 17:43, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
5 >
6 > > I will see if I get that figured out ... got to get the kernel-options
7 > > and dracut modules right.
8 >
9 > first try started booting but couldn't mount rootfs ... and now the box
10 > hangs there and I can't press the power button (only PS/2 attached
11 > keyboard/mouse)
12 >
13 > got to wait for the folks there to come to work tmrw
16 There are methods to get the console terminal session, remotely.
17 One, is called "netconsole" [1]. I use to use this sort of thing
18 decades ago. How it is currently supported and the associated codes
19 (ssh) to use it remotely, I have not kept up with. Some headless embedded
20 system still use this sort of thing; with holes punched in the
21 routers/firewalls.....
22
23 I've also heard of folks setting up a serial console over serial-2-usb
24 converter, like ftdi, and then making a terminal session connection
25 form a remote cell phone to another cell phone, to tunnel an ascii
26 terminal session. I've never done this, but I'd be really curious how
27 somebody makes that sort of 9600 baud terminal connection to a remote
28 router or server, via a serial/console port.... using cell phones
29 as modems.
30
31 hth,
32 James