From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: remote installation, dual boot
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 17:21:36
1 On 23.04.2015 18:57, james wrote:
2 > Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:
5 >> On 23.04.2015 17:43, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> I will see if I get that figured out ... got to get the kernel-options
8 >>> and dracut modules right.
9 >>
10 >> first try started booting but couldn't mount rootfs ... and now the box
11 >> hangs there and I can't press the power button (only PS/2 attached
12 >> keyboard/mouse)
13 >>
14 >> got to wait for the folks there to come to work tmrw
17 > There are methods to get the console terminal session, remotely.
18 > One, is called "netconsole" [1]. I use to use this sort of thing
19 > decades ago. How it is currently supported and the associated codes
20 > (ssh) to use it remotely, I have not kept up with. Some headless embedded
21 > system still use this sort of thing; with holes punched in the
22 > routers/firewalls.....
23 >
24 > I've also heard of folks setting up a serial console over serial-2-usb
25 > converter, like ftdi, and then making a terminal session connection
26 > form a remote cell phone to another cell phone, to tunnel an ascii
27 > terminal session. I've never done this, but I'd be really curious how
28 > somebody makes that sort of 9600 baud terminal connection to a remote
29 > router or server, via a serial/console port.... using cell phones
30 > as modems.
31
32 Thanks for the hint but for now I have to wait.
33
34 When I think about I have to add several kernel-options to menu.lst:
35
36 dracut has to assemble /dev/md3 at first (this is the single PV in the
37 VG VG01)
38
39 and /dev/VG01/genroot then is the filesystem with the new gentoo-rootfs
40
41 I only added stuff like rd.md=1 etc ... I think I got the assembling
42 wrong. And maybe even the root= option.
43
44 We will see tmrw if I get in early from other jobs.
45
46 Stefan