From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: remote installation, dual boot
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:56:42
1 On Thursday, April 23, 2015 07:21:12 PM Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > On 23.04.2015 18:57, james wrote:
3 > > Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:
4 > >> On 23.04.2015 17:43, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
5 > >>> I will see if I get that figured out ... got to get the kernel-options
6 > >>> and dracut modules right.
7 > >>
8 > >> first try started booting but couldn't mount rootfs ... and now the box
9 > >> hangs there and I can't press the power button (only PS/2 attached
10 > >> keyboard/mouse)
11 > >>
12 > >> got to wait for the folks there to come to work tmrw
13 > >
14 > > There are methods to get the console terminal session, remotely.
15 > > One, is called "netconsole" [1]. I use to use this sort of thing
16 > > decades ago. How it is currently supported and the associated codes
17 > > (ssh) to use it remotely, I have not kept up with. Some headless embedded
18 > > system still use this sort of thing; with holes punched in the
19 > > routers/firewalls.....
20 > >
21 > > I've also heard of folks setting up a serial console over serial-2-usb
22 > > converter, like ftdi, and then making a terminal session connection
23 > > form a remote cell phone to another cell phone, to tunnel an ascii
24 > > terminal session. I've never done this, but I'd be really curious how
25 > > somebody makes that sort of 9600 baud terminal connection to a remote
26 > > router or server, via a serial/console port.... using cell phones
27 > > as modems.
28 >
29 > Thanks for the hint but for now I have to wait.
30 >
31 > When I think about I have to add several kernel-options to menu.lst:
32 >
33 > dracut has to assemble /dev/md3 at first (this is the single PV in the
34 > VG VG01)
35 >
36 > and /dev/VG01/genroot then is the filesystem with the new gentoo-rootfs
37 >
38 > I only added stuff like rd.md=1 etc ... I think I got the assembling
39 > wrong. And maybe even the root= option.
40
41 This is one of the reasons why I have given up on genkernel and dracut for
42 initramfs creation and now simply build my own and have it integrated into the
43 kernel:
44 $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep INITRAMFS_SOURCE
45 CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="/usr/src/initramfs/config"
46
47 If you're interested I will send you the required files.
48
49 > We will see tmrw if I get in early from other jobs.
50
51 Good luck :)
54 Joost