From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] linux boot logo in 2.6.29-gentoo sources
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 04:25:47
1 On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 20:59:02 -0300
2 Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > It's still a way to check out these new features hands-on :)
5 >
6 > It's a kernel.
7
8 Exactly.
9 That's definitely one of the thing you have to know about, especially
10 if this one's got some unpredictable stuff in it.
11
12 > Even if it already released, it has a higher chance of bugs than a
13 > more established kernel.
14
15 Agreed, but from my experience, it's more like 'features' with kernel -
16 some stuff just change, and most of this isn't quite obvious from
17 release info, even with such commit-by-commit teardown like
18 kernelnewbies.
19 http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_29
20
21 > Waiting for the package to become stable on Gentoo is not just about
22 > ebuild bugs; it is also about waiting for enough users in general to
23 > test the upstream package, and Gentoo users in particular to test the
24 > package within Gentoo.
25
26 There's a race condition and quite unpredictable dependency :)
27
28 > Of course, if you want to actively help, that is a reason to test
29 > the latest software... but I am afraid that a kernel bug could lead
30 > to unpredictable behavior, data loss and other problems I can't
31 > tolerate. Also, I think a kernel has a higher chance of hidden
32 > bugs (bugs that don't stand in your face).
33
34 But that's fine with desktop systems, especially if you have full
35 net backup as a daily cronjob (which is a great idea, btw).
36 I tend to use each new kernel for at least a few weeks, before
37 deploying it anywhere, and no bugreports or security advisory papers
38 are substitute for that.
39
40 But this isn't really a discussion, since I certainly don't speak for
41 production systems and you probably mean just a general deployment
42 everywhere, so everyone's right in their own way.
43 Besides, stability vs innovation is too much a matter of personal
44 preference to discuss it w/o starting an endless holywar.
47 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net