From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem with saslauthd
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 19:45:32
1 On 5/5/22 1:24 PM, John Covici wrote:
2 > I do have a submit.mc file, but I have not changed this at all.
3 > What is strange to me is that if I do saslauthd -v should not I get
4 > everything that my Sendmail.conf has?
5
6 I would not assume so.
7
8 I say that based on my understanding of how SASL and Sendmail interact.
9
10 In many ways, Sendmail and SASL are two entirely separate sub-systems.
11 Sendmail (as I usually see it configured) wholesale outsources
12 outsources testing authentication credentials. It does so by asking the
13 completely independent SASL authentication daemon to test the
14 credentials (nominally a username and password pair) to see if they are
15 valid. SASL returns a yes / no to Sendmail. Sendmail alters what it
16 does based on that answer.
17
18 Since Sendmail and SASL are independent entities there is no reason for
19 SASL to know anything about how Sendmail is configured.
20
21 > I can check an old backup and see if I have one for my sendmail.mc and
22 > get back.
23
24 ACK
29 Grant. . . .