From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem with saslauthd
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 19:24:35
1 On Thu, 05 May 2022 12:52:45 -0400,
2 Grant Taylor wrote:
3 >
4 > On 5/5/22 10:39 AM, John Covici wrote:
5 > > saslauthd is running, but it seems to ignore the Sendmail.conf .
6 >
7 > I think it's the other way around.
8 >
9 > Sendmail is told to support authentication via one or more
10 > methods, one of which can be SASL and co.
11 >
12 > The actual SASL auth daemon just listens on a unix socket and /
13 > or TCP port for clients to test authentication pairs, returning a
14 > pass fail type message.
15 >
16 > > I used openssl s_client to connect to my sendmail, it was happy
17 > > with the certs, but in response to the ehlo gives me no auth
18 > > line at all.
19 >
20 > :-/
21 >
22 > > Very strange.
23 >
24 > Very annoying, definitely.
25 >
26 > I don't know if it's strange yet or not. I think the strangeness
27 > will be confirmed or refuted after finding out why Sendmail isn't
28 > offering AUTH options.
29 >
30 > My favorite thing to turn to when things that used to work and
31 > now don't is to restore a backup of the configuration file and
32 > compare them. Can you do that with your sendmail.cf or
33 > sendmail.mc file?
34 >
35 > There's also a chance that it's your submit.cf or submit.mc file
36 > since we're talking about the MSA on port 587. (Unless you
37 > aren't using the separate MSA which has been standard for 15+
38 > years.)
39 I do have a submit.mc file, but I have not changed this at all. What
40 is strange to me is that if I do saslauthd -v should not I get
41 everything that my Sendmail.conf has?
42
43 I can check an old backup and see if I have one for my sendmail.mc and
44 get back.
47 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
48 How do
49 you spend it?
50
51 John Covici wb2una